Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

n/a

15 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2012 :  09:03:29  Show Profile
onetonpump:

I see the word "CHALLENGE"... where is this challenge outlined? "Cranking Water"...? UP? DOWN? all around...?

You lose me at the beginning where you write "~ I claim to have an axial-flow-turbine, with the most flow @ 1m 2m for 1minute sprint & 1 hour endurance" what is "@ 1m 2m for 1minute".

Then you write about the inspiration... "A sinking boat motivated me: long ago."

Your writing has inspired me! No... not a sinking boat but the feeling that a challenge needs to be challenging. I sincerely love your effort... but YOU state "CHALLENGE" ! and I say I could do, would do, can and am able to do, will do better by more than 100% as in twice the water volume moved, removed, displaced, or other in any direction with the energy only from human power.

You could do better... or could you do better...? ... like PLEASE! What I am saying is your writing needs to stop sinking me mid-sentence.

Pumping or Suctioning water? To Vacuum? To Bleed? To Push or to Pile up? To Pull or to Feed? Is an axial turbine the best way? Is pedaling? From where to where within a time frame or without what? etc...

Most people think(or do they) that pumping water means UP! As in a boat where the water must drop. The boat must stay UP with the water BELOW! tells me water pushed DOWN is the way I would go. Displacement to me is the way that I SEA! If I was the Ocean you might have to agree.

The LEAST amount of water movement in velocity through impact is the least amount of energy required. To me an axial turbine would waste energy putting energy into moving the water within water and that would impact other water creating pressure piling problems and wave transformation into energy loss as water pressure increase and decrease is all loss within a system.

Water is a solid that acts like a liquid. Hydrogen-gas, Oxygen gas, Energy in between has no measure or mass. What needs to be seen first is energy transfer into moving the water rather than water movement when push becomes shove. Water is more like glue as water sticks to me and you.

So please take me serious and I am asking as-king as a king :)

MoronInventor
Go to Top of Page

n/a

1 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2012 :  20:53:55  Show Profile
Hi Mr One Ton Pump. As a singlehanded ocean sailor I am interested in pumps and note your motivation from being aboard a sinking vessel. I know the feeling. However, after viewing your posts and photos, as interesting as they are, I remain unclear about both how this concept works and how close you may be to producing a compact unit that could realistically be fitted onto a small vessel. It would help if you could write a concise, clearly written summary of this concept, along the lines of a brochure perhaps that was trying to sell the finished product to the general public or perhaps to an investor who knew nothing about pumps. Your writing to date is only accessible to other pump geeks!
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2012 :  21:40:18  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
Answer for "AsKing";you my PEER are like most not conversant with the characteristics of pumps.Some understanding I hope to give you.
This is a "HUMAN POWERED WATER LIFTING DEVICE".[United Nations terminology].
It is a pedal or hand cranked AXIAL FLOW TURBINE PUMP, which can also be powered electrically,i/c engine, PTO or other input torque.
This is a 12cm diameter impeller spinning in a ring;all the energy is imparted to the liquid at this point::the velocity is at it's maximum & this needs to be converted to pressure energy by an expanding water passage,"the diffuser", then the flow continues up a "discharge pipe"to a reservoir//channel//overboard.The impeller needs to be submerged to start,as the level drops it can suck,depending on the inlet type,till suction is broken.
Lifting water or pressurising it is what pumps do,this pump lifts 2 meters,it will do slightly more,depending on the strength of the worker,
I tested with a half ton tank,so that I,an average bloke [1.75mX85Kg] by hand cranking, could lift one ton of water up a meter in a minute [sprint rate];a big strong guy did 1.7 ton up 1.5m; I have yet to test the "PELOTON" variant with two sets of cranks, out-of-sync,but my expectation is that two guys will do three times as much as one~~on continuous operation!-It's how the LOAD is SHARED.
The CHALLENGE is for me to improve this to the best of my abilities:: challenging the 'WORLD' to go better will develope this further.
You boast that you can double the performance!Show us your stuff!
This is the INTERNATIONAL HUMAN ENERGY forum & on topic,the rules for records are here,just need to apply to water lifting.
HEAD is the water level difference 1m 2m are suitable for this.
FLOW is measured in litres per sec,per minute,per hour ,
So how much can be delivered at a lift of 1m &2m for a sprint of one minute or endure an hour or more :: this is an accurate measure of STRENGTH & STAMINA.
EFFICIENCY is the key;what you get out for what you put in.
How much can you shift before exhaustion floors you?~ Do you continue floating ,get in the lifeboat,or swim?
The ART OF PUMP DESIGN is about SIZES, SHAPES, RATIOS, RPM,STREAMLINING incorporatedin a machine adapted to the AVAILABLE INPUT POWER.
It's taken me awhile to get close to the optimum & the effectiveness of the TURBINE & MECHANISM performs better than I had anticipated.!
You will be ASTONISHED at how much water you can move & how you feel the weight & flow of water by your soles!
OCEAN MARINERS need the best BILGE PUMP ~ I remember SV "MOVISTAR"which almost sunk one dark & stormy night near "CAPE HORN",they survived to subsequently decend into "ATLANTIS",a beautiful vessel lost,which could have been saved,as could so many others,both PAST PRESENT & FUTURE.
I've drawn the design for the "PUMP-ON-A-STANSHON",it goes between the overhead & the floor,made a mock-up ;NOW I'm looking for another workspace,more money to spend & collaborators.Then continue.

The centre that I cannot find is known to my unconcious mind ~ W.H.Auden.

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

n/a

15 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2012 :  14:06:43  Show Profile
onetonpump:

""HUMAN POWERED WATER LIFTING DEVICE".[United Nations terminology]."

To PUMP:
Noun:
A mechanical device using suction or pressure to raise or move liquids, compress gases, or force air into inflatable objects such as tires.
A light shoe, in particular.
Verb:
Force (liquid, gas, etc.) to move in a specified direction by or as if by means of a pump: "the blood is pumped around the body".

Who cares of the source for the definition.

I am working with what you present as a challenge, what you present as a pump, what you present as the way to power the pump, the choices you make, etc...

I am saying that if there was a boat afloat upon water and water was filling the inside of the boat as in sinking the boat... I could get twice the water out of the boat using only human power and a different displacement machine which could be considered a pump than the choices you have made. Competition from confidence where MAYBE you could teach me a thing or two... or MAYBE...

MoronInventor
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2012 :  19:54:46  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
That sinking boat,was a 12m hulk of a keelboat,which had been salvaged from six-months on the bottom,it leaked a lot & the 'monsoon'poured heavy showers through its' open top.I used a 20litre bucket,taking 10-15 litre scoops below my feet,lifting it over my head to dump on the deck [probably 2m lift].Tedious,boring,repetitive,exhausting,with time to think & raise the determination to find a better way to match HUMAN ENERGY & HYDRODYNAMICS .The INTERFACE a MACHINE a PUMP.
RATIOS matter::CADENCE- IMPELLER RPM::FOOT FORCE on a crank to CHAIN SPEED :: CHAIN-WHEEL SIZE // GEARBOX RATIO // IMPELLER PITCH.
The machinery matters,push pedal;;spin impeller with the minimum friction.One man hand-crank m/c has 2 brgs each handle,2 brgs in tha axle,3 brgs in g/b,one at the impeller,10 bearings. The two-man pedaler has 16 brgs. I can see no way to reduce this number :: but as kept occurring to me as I 'bucketed' "There must be a better way".
So hence the "CHALLENGE",you can do it better, with RELIABILITY .DURABILITY,INTUITIVE VERSITILITY,easily fixed with MAINTAINABILITY,using easily sourced parts.Being CORROSION RESISTANT for MARINE CIRCUMSTANCES & suitable to endure in muddy//sandy installations.Every "TITANIC LIFEBOAT" should have one,as should those 'Round-The World' Racers in their phenomenal yachts,also "rotten old hulks".The 'portable edition' has been tried.with a clamp to the companion-ladder & pipe to the cockpit ~it works.

Still pretty geekie,with lots of jargon~"Keep em guessing!" That's my motto. If you are interested the clues are here to 'tease' your thoughts;maybe you really can make one twice as good?Lots of progress is waiting to occur in this "Antique World";tomorrow's modernity,new & better ways & means await us ~ limited only by our imagination, as usual.
I really want to make a BETTER BILGE PUMP ::so far I'm on track!Soon I'll prove that,with a witnessed test & the video.
Still looking for a workspace`~ hiatus time.

"We cannot escape fear. We can only transform it into a companion that accompanies us on all our exciting adventures.::::
Take-a-risk-a-day-one small or bold stroke that will make you feel great once you have done it." ~~SUSAN JEFFERS ~~

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

n/a

15 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2012 :  10:23:11  Show Profile
onetonpump:

Determination. You have plenty. If more people were like you the world would have a better chance to move forward.

But... you have to learn to listen to what others think beyond what you see or you must see beyond what others think.

I will build what I see... I will show you what I build...

MoronInventor
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  21:47:35  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
I 'see' the ways so many think about this "PEDAL-POWERED-PUMP"::it is a CHALLENGE for most to comprehend,outside their realm of interest,they mostly don't want to know & change the subject,while observing me as an obscure eccentricity.Why? What's the point?Don't you know that the petrol engine was invented 200 years ago,for this?Get a Briggs & Stratton!
Well!- I come from long ago & far away,it's been a long distance to get here,geographically to places where moving water by primitive means enables a marginal survival.HUMAN POWER WORKS ;I have hauled buckets from the well;the reward for the effort is a cool clear drink [mostly].
I watch water,how people move it,how they use it,store it,appreciate it & question what they know about it. I read "RUNNING DOWN" by Mary White;an understanding of how water running down has shaped this ancien land of OZ::John Archer wrote of "THE TWENTYTHIRST CENTURY" & "THE MAJIC OF WATER" ::there is plenty more in "BREATH" by Tim Winton reminds me how I too learned the tremendous power of SURF WAVES at the edge of this ocean.HYDRODYNAMICS & the curl of a breaker is now a topic I collabourate with others in a Uni Hydro-Lab,seeking to find more from those with a greater knowledge as we look to the future,over distant horizons.
This gadjet I've made will probably be made & available, so that those people with specific needs will get one & use it,maybe it will be commonplace in frivolous & absurd applications like gyms & water-slides.The "SINKING-SAILOR" is my main concern.
Another around the World yacht-race is underway,with drama!The new Volvo 60's are being made::human powered travelling machines of another sort ~ remember SV "Movistar" it's in Atlantis now!
So, mindreading & spelling out my minds' ideas is still enigmatic::it is the process of drawing a larger picture::the scatter of seemingly unrelated factors will integrate to form some knowledge, if you think about it?

"A painting is never finished-it simply stops in interesting places".~~Paul Gardner.

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

n/a

15 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2012 :  11:39:57  Show Profile
onetonpump: you say "I watch water".

I DO TOO! ... can't even help myself enough to stop. I see how people "move" and the water that moves within people. Water... WATER!!!

Water is more than just water. Water is a Solid when impacted at a high velocity. Water is compacted gas as liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen are just compressed gasses.

I was trying to get you to THINK past your perspective without implying that you do not think.

So separate water thoughts into work tasks. Pumping water as UP. Moving water as horizontal. Pushing water as down.

Pulling water out of a well using a bucket is completely different than pumping water out of a well. Pushing water out of a boat from the bottom out downward is different than pumping the water up and throwing the water out from the side.

The easiest way to remove water from a boat is down and out from the lowest point once the water is within the boat and has lost the pressure that is in the water under the boat. Any lifting of water is work just like pushing water into pressurized water... but what I am speaking about is distance traveled through a hose is ALL work LOSS as the hose itself applies pressure piling and impact loss problems. Water that has movement within itself is energy being lost since water absorbs energy by transformation until movement within the water calms down or slows like a vibration dampener or harmonic balancer.

I know you think. The Painting is what I am pointing towards...

MoronInventor
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2012 :  18:48:28  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
You got me to "THINKING",~LATERALLY~[read DeBono]~
Srraight out the boats' bottom is how a "VENTURI" works on a sailing dinghy :: the velocity creates a void for the bilge to fall into & strips it!
A TURBINE in the garboard strake would push the bilge straight out,undoubtedly the shortest way from lower to higher pressure & easy feasable ~ just needs a check-valve ~ I'll have a go,when opportunity arises,the machinery exists - modify it!
Which gives a 'LIGHTBULB REALISATION';thinking along to another problematic elements & what to do about that.The TURBINE INLET.
Through the hole in a boat-bottom the light shines brightly in,
"moon-pool"is called.The flow quantity is usually surprising[if you want to not~ sink?]
The 1.2 dm impeller I use could be put in a 'ring'[tight as poss] spun up to 1500 RPM to eject water @ a/ton/a minute. straight out.
It needs a bearing-spider & inlet guide.

Stopping back-flow with a check-valve,internal or external,can be done,but I had a further idea that the inlet could be a telescopic tube with a floating rim,submerged enough to feed the flow with a filtering mesh to seperate the varegated detritus which is a feature in sinking boats.Lifting the rim will stop ingress.
The disadvantage of this arrangement is that if it jambs#breaks#blows the SHEAR-PIN,you've got to get to it ,maybe in cold water,splash! wet-clothes are another disadvantage!Groping in the mess![Probably could find a way to deal with this!]Use 'thinking'**** *^^etc.
Meantime with the "PUMP-ON-A-POLE" that I've prototyped,you can lift the lot,or extract the workings,to attend problems.
Discharging bilge above the waterline is "THE ORDINARY PRACTICE OF SEAFARERS".
So that's pretty geekie,deals with some 'nitty-gritty',there's more~wait for the rave about "unloading the tips" or the rate of twist in the foils & how that effects the "STALL-POINT".
You'll know when you hit that point!
I currently have two impellers LOW-PITCH // HIGH-PITCH, avast difference in the performance.High-pitch stalls viscious, low-pitch is docile.Too much info probly?Significant in "REALITY".

"As an artist it is central to be unsatisfied!This is not greed though it might be appetite." ~ Lawrence Calcagno ~

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

n/a

15 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2012 :  09:40:50  Show Profile
onetonpump:

... that would be a great start! ... but there is a way to get two tons of sea water out of a boat per minute in an easier fashion.

Little by little...

There are many things to consider when thinking human powered stuff. For how long would a human be able to power the machine and how does a human's body work. A human body fails when movement is constant and redundant even when the work load is easy. A real test would be for 15 minutes or 30 minutes to remove water while repairs to the boat are being made. Machines as mechanical devices that are to be human powered must take into account that humans never should do work as making things move fast since all fast movement of a machine by a human is just fraction engineering. ALL fractions cost the price of human labor as making things go faster create loss within the system. Specially where water must be moved just a few feet and the slower the movement the more movement of a larger quantity of liquid or gaseous material becomes possible.

... food for thought... and no you did not give too much information.

MoronInventor
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2012 :  20:17:16  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
To paraphrase::a critique for shifting paradigms::
From competetive to co-operative is embodied in this machine.People assisting each other,gets better results,it can be a 'sport' if you like,competition will show what works better.
One minute sprints,an hour sustained can give measurable results to see what's best;three people could keep it going for a day;or a team ,a group could give it "Perpetual Motion",this I want to see as it is a question of what wears-out & what breaks. MTBF is 'pump-geek-talk' for MEAN TIME BEFORE FAILURE,~~~~~~
The record I wish to break is endurance for 400 years & still functional!
Quality,design,materials,making reveals reality in pumps.
REALITY of another sort is at sea in a sinker.
Real ideas occur & this is unique this HP pump."PROOF OF CONCEPT" exists,lot's of thought,work, time & money spent;more is needed!
Before it get's 'out-there' It's important to understand what stops it performing better,still at R&D stage.It's a leading edge I scrutinise,tweaking features,factors,profiles & streamlines to maximise the input;minimise losses.Functional versitility is a puzzle to adapt to various circumstances,the crossed-leg-telescopic splayed 5-leg frame is adaptable.Other models are on 'the drawing board'.
Practical LOGIC is LINEAR THINKING towards a future where humans doing physical work is part of the mix::unlike gyms it can have 'real-world'benefits with results,ie water in or out // up or down.
Yes this thing also works to extract energy as an HYDRO_ELEC_GEN_SET,or TORQUE TWISTER,but that's POWER FOR HUMANS not HUMAN POWER,which is this forum's topic.
Still looking for a place,chasing a buck!Seeking a "CREATIVE CIRCLE".

"Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things"~~Edgar Degas.~~

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

n/a

15 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2012 :  08:34:50  Show Profile
onetonpump:

The best way to start today is to destroy what you made yesterday and if your determination makes you make what you had yesterday all over again... then that is the best for today. But what about tomorrow?

If "Practical LOGIC" worked in the world then the world would have solved all these problems long ago and yet the only thing the world is able to do consistently is find paths to war.

A "Creative Circle" never works. People don't work together... unless one person is in the center. People would take turns in the center until direction becomes so obvious that getting to work on the best ideas... idealistic. Reality shows that the world is self-centered. Just look at governments around the world and the business of business.

Any better machine would help the world. So how much water could a person remove from a sinking boat? A bicycle looking pedal machine may not be the best choice.

A man walking carries his weight. A deep knee bend requires more effort. Starting with the basics I see that a man could push four tons of water out of a boat per minute even if that minute tired the man out. One ton as being 2000 pounds or twelve deep knee bends every fifteen seconds. One ton should be easy with time in between for a break... :}

MoronInventor
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2012 :  18:56:24  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
Idealistically~

I will destroy what I've made.already I see improvements to add,stuff to delete,add here, change angles,57 variants to iterate!
Already made a dozen pump editions,fiberglass & cast transparent urethane,1dm 1.2dm & 1.3 diameter outlet from a spiral volute after a conical diffuser.The "RING" annulus is 6.5 cm impeller hub to 1.2dm impeller diameter.[tip clearence??]?
As a child my 'toys' were several WWII 4-engine Lancaster bombers,abandoned for scrounging-good stuff [war over=peace time];first paid job as a teen was dismantling old cars//wrecking jalopies;that learned me-how it works & goes together.
The current prototype grew like "Topsy",from two bike frames held together, to two beams,one for seats & one for the crank-axles + pump suspension,then legs -//telescopic\\- to stand in water on uneven profiles,add"Bells & Whistles" as many as I can get on it to cover many eventualities.Always PRIORITY for SPARE SHEAR-PIN :: MUST-HAVE.
"A CREATIVE SPHERE" is possible then,this Planet will do & this medium has the ability to make it happen.
I've got to "POC" & a working demo ~ a strategy is to scatter the design by abstract digitisation with an "INSTRUCTION-BOOK" or tute on how to make-test-operate-fix & maintain this machine.
Uni students from Hyderabad,Loughborough,Southampton,Cuba,Nottingham-Trent are already doing stuff as is Maya-Pedal,others,they could take it from here,go for the 'CHALLENGE"make a better one for all to copy, a tool for a future.You also can make this,with motivation,materials,abiliities & resources::as an individual or not-for-profit group,feel free & I will help; for businesses of INTEGRITY I expect a share of the price.
Out of an ancien-world, I am crawling, aware of the way INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY plays with things like this,part of a CREATIVE SPHERE are individuals with mighty talented abilities to make illusions for your very-own computer pixies to reveal all,particularly to "read" the shape of an item to a 'rendered' picture & PDF which can make a duplicate with RAPID-PROTOTYPING & 3-D PRINTING,coming to a desktop near you soon?Meantime this process is underway.You can see photos @ onetonpump.com

"Be really whole.And all things will come to you." ~~Lao-Tzu.

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2012 :  20:10:37  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
"AVAST" ~ THE BILGE-PUMP~
Drastic events happen ::vessels get flooded.
One WORST CASE SCENARIO is "Movistar"[google it] or as in "FATAL STORM"the book{Rob Mundle],damaged boats with waist deep water,with much rubbish floating & sunk in water sloshing across a wallowing hull.
Wedging an operator by standing,with a bum to shoulder-blade, clam-hold, backrest pushing/pulling/holding the crank-handles to resist the forces of the water & accelerations, while winding the water overboard::two workers with out-of-phase-cranks,either along side or opposing are better.
The pump & crank-axle are moumted on a rectangular-hollow-section RHS telescopic stanshon to locate between the overhead & the floor,connected by a tensioning thrust strut,the whole thing slides up/down

so the pump can be lifted to change the SHEAR-PIN & etc.While a dark & stormy night rages,with crew exhausted,hungry,cold,wet,maybe injured,desperate to save the vessel holding their life.
Reliability,robust,rustproof,intuitive,performance depends on the design & making:: the future will see, for now the MOCK-UP makes me see LOGIC !

"Listening is a form of accepting" ~~ Stella Terrill Mann.

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2013 :  03:52:34  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
A chance exists~a place to put the show together is near & soon available;then the tests,more experiments,while a video rolls to be edited with script.Explanation with pictures moving.

"Creative work is play.It is free speculation using the materials of ones' chosen form." *Michele Shea.

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2013 :  22:52:14  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
"Man can know nothing excepy by going from the known to the unknown"[[Claude Bernard.]]The mystery of getting OTP out of a storage container & into a shed is unfolding.Sheds are multiplying in this city.A way of keeping some guys doing practical stuff,an opportunity for OTP to be assembled & run;tested & discussed.
More input leads to design by committe,variants will happen,I'll do the video of how to make it,schoolchildren can use it educationally,malls can display messages from the water utility,with a trailer mounted display,which could go out the door of said shed.

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  22:58:15  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
I've got the OTP & the trailer to carry it.A CREATIVE CIRCLE starts with one person taking an inquisitive interest.The shed//workshop exists;permission from the owner is slowly happening[I hope].Money is promised & due in,via a DONATE BUTTON in onetonpump.com the website;this is all I need to progress.
The plan for this CHALLENGE to make the BEST BILGE PUMP is to make 100=ONE HUNDRED PUMPS & scatter them to those with the capability,interest & resources to develope the concept further::universities,schools,IRRI,UNDP,&various companies.
Then IHPVA &Guiness Records can sort out the best performer after "THE HUMAN POWERED PUMP REGATTA".My desire is to have the best available for all to copy freely;this I know is counter to the current patenting regime & corporate competitiveness paradigm.I feel strongly that a co-operative spirit of mutual assistence will produce a better product to save that SINKING SAILOR.
You can help by pushing that donate button!

"The events in our lives happen in a sequence of time,but in their significance to ourselves,they find their own order..... the continuous thread of revelation." ~~EUDORA WELTY~~

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2013 :  00:16:38  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
The journey begins;out of the container & in a trailer,on the trail to a revealing event.With the help of a friend!
Across town to a shed by a tidal-water canal.
I stripped & painted inside & out :: started reassembly.
Get it operating,with a spare,loaded in a trailer,ready for tracking.
How many roads does a pump have to go before being effective & ready for application? I chose that obscure road less travelled so that I could learn from the exxperiences to be found there & not elsewhere?
Propeller pump tec is one thing;;the terrors of a time in a sinking boat is what I read in "Fatal Storm"[Mundle] & plethoras of other marine lit.I've been paddling in a paddy & flooded places it's been a long & varied road.Which way to go is a navigation by the instinct ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> towards a better bilge pump~~~~~~~~~>

"One does not discover new lands without consentingto loose sight of the shore for avery long time" --Andre/ Gide.

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2013 :  05:03:18  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
"What lies behind us & what lies before us are tiny matters,compared to what lies within us." RALPH WALDO EMERSON .

Inside I know this idea will grow,not only a tool to shift water but also the uses it can be put to ~ learning people by the 'hands-on' interactive & vizual demo.Probably in gyms as the moving water adds another element,particularly if the energy is stored & then used later.It's the energy factor,an effective way of using muscle-power to help the brain percieve the weight of water & what work is required to lift it; to appreciate the pressure water from a tap has.
Meantime an awning 6X3m has arrived,a good shelter to stand on OTP like a big rectangular umbrella & four guy-ropes,adjustable tilt & direction.
It covers the frame while in the trailer,so it will be dry in the current rain.Aye but a week ago 30*Centigrade+ the bushfire started.
The pedal power pressure pump is needed as a last resort.
The backpack//hand pumped spray is effective sometimes,I've used them & it doused fire in the bush.Even a broken off branch can swat fire;better equipment is available ~ is it where it's needed??
Like the bilge pump,you'll never want it till you need it.
I met a navigator,preparing his vessel in a boatyard far away; he was prepared to pay whatever for the best,high volume pump available1.
I'm still working on that,started assembly,yesterday.

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2013 :  04:33:30  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
Discovering aspects I had not seen before occurrs at random times as I tease my brain wondering.
The centre vertical pole/mast/leg,can support an awning using a 3m tube for a ridge-beam,telescoped up as high as you want,held by a ring the beam can slide fore & aft,tilt and rotate controlled by two guy ropes each end,shade & shelter.
By jacking a leg down the frame can be lifted to take the load off the splayed legs while they extend/retract,alowing them to move in & out on the footprint,without dragging.
The pump is back in action,HEG being prepared.
Progress!

"Play is the exultation of the possible." ~ Martin Buber.

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2013 :  20:56:57  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
:Look & you will find it~what is unsought will go undetected." --SOPHOCLES--

It pumps fine.Still more details to make like feet for sand/mud/rock/delicate floors.Get a fine floating fish-net,to keep fish out!
Work on the HEG wiring needed.Making the bilge-version has started,again,with a different drive-extention & layout::this one is to slide up&down a pole inside the boat, the deck level grinder is another.
Several guys have worked it,pedalling hard on high lift 2m.
Next I'll rig a jib so the head can be changed quickly, by raise//lower the discharge pipe,all the stuff is there, just put it together.
I used a wood-lathe to make knobs for the ridge-pole ends [chafe protection] next a few eyelets & thats done,big 6X3 awning OK.
More attatchments to the trailer will add useful features.It carries the pump;can be a tank on wheels; a mobile office with wheelie spin around chairs & a table to sit behind at shows & demos ,when the time comes to answer questions & explain.Of course a 2X1.2 box trailer can have a tent over & around for sleep-outs on this journey [mozzie-proof]
But first a voyage to a bush place,after the rain currently falling,putting out the last of the recent ferocious fires.
These pedal pumps can be used to fill wheeled tankers from low beside a water source 2m lift max. The petrol variant has more grunt!
Tanks on wheels with powerful pumps is a way to fight fire.
Now at last the regs here make it mandatory to have a 10 - 20 Ton tank of water + pump, fundamental equipment for fire-zones.
I keep looking for things to add,"bells & whistles" galore,now is my chance,down by the riverside or aboard the sinking sailer some resources are not available, but in a shed there's plenty stuff & expertise to do things.

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2013 :  18:32:29  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
Some more progress; two jibs rigged,one to hold a little reservoir,made of transparent vynl,the pump discharge drops in & then exits to the HEG out the bottom.The splash is vizible & illuminated by a strobing LED.Lumps of water in 'freeze-frame'!Something to gaze at ;mezzmerised,that's the idea,entertaining education for an understanding of HYDRODYNAMICS.
The other jib holds the discharge pipe.
Both can be varied with two guys each,up/down-slewing;using rope & tackles or chain/wire rigging,just like the cranes on that old time three island freighter,a"Liberty-Ship" in which I crossed half this globe,while the Boson's apprentice,as a child.!
There is a gantry at this shed,I intend to hang up OTP[Peloton-Horse] to find the CG,balence dynamics,there are two lifting eyes,on top of leg crossing point;this will be unstable,stability can happen with the telescoping extensions.
It can be suspended,fitted with a nozzle & the jet-thrust measured to find a better vena-contracta.Then it can have a steerable swivelling body to direct the jet full circle,have a scoop inlet so that the suspended unit is free to swing on a single line with a swivel,pedal powered fun,wild ride experimental learning of a different dynamic
That's a performance for the fictional "PUMPCIRCUS",the gear to try it is available now.

"Develope interest in life as you see it;in people,things,literature,music-the world is so rich,simply throbbing with rich treasures,beautiful souls & interesting people.Forget yourself."~~HENRY MILLER~~

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2014 :  21:30:15  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
"TAKE YOUR LIFE IN YOUR OWN HANDS, & YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS? A TERRIBLE THING : NO ONE TO BLAME." -- Erica Jong.
So ,once again to the beach at the start of a sea-road;combed a big bag of detritus from the lee-shore @ low tide;Karma paid for a day!
Then,it was 'feet-on-deck' time, a ship [years ago I was Mate ,engineer & Bosun of this] -standing on a 200 tonne floating object,ready to roam,with new owners got me talking of bilge pumps.
Enough talk;more action,yes I have most bits,just assemble!
"THE PUMP CIRCUS: is shaping up,demo-day is a few weeks away;U-tube stuff to happen.
Made a bunch of belaying-pins on a lathe,yesterday for lashing lines.
Make feet next.

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2014 :  21:15:46  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
Back to a drawing-board, next proto,"SQUARE LEG PELOTON" or a rectangular frame,with vertical//telescopic legs & horizontal beams for seats-top & pedals-below::extra modules can be 'plugged-in' to extend it 2X2,more workers,lighter load//greater delivery//continuous operation.The "LAY-SHAFT" variant is also manifesting!
The SLP frame is being welded together,just gotta add stiffeners & stuff,this is a simplified version of the "TELESCOPING LEG HORSE",without so many 'bells & whistles'details,a compromise with surprising SERENDIPITY;it never ceases to amaze me that apparent limitations lead to new abilities.The basic function of supporting 2X riders + pump//discharge pipe persist & other functions discover new dimensions,by which I mean there are unplanned advantages in operation,not compromises so much.
Progress persists with added determination.

Creation is only the projection into form of that which already exists~~Shrimad Bagavadam~~

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2014 :  02:57:39  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
"The most potent muse of all is our inner child."~~Stephen Nachmanovitch.

So my inner child is alive and dreaming:~years ago I took OTP to a science show,every school in town was bussed in,they loved it,just splash water & mezmerization happens! Six children under 2 y/o could turn it enough to get a slosh at low low head ,using hand cranks.
I've remade the frame,simplified,two horizontal beams + uprights & the pump/pipe support stuff in front,two riders & new is the add-on section for two more.The PELOTON-PUMP grows!
Soon to be put in the water for fine tuning.Then testing.
The paint is drying.
This proto has lower seats for children specially~four at a time.

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2014 :  03:26:49  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
Another day a doing,cutting,drilling,grinding steel,paint later.
Got the crank-axles mounted on a bracket which fixes to 35 SHS,the big driving chainwheel is fixed by u-bolts to a plate below tight on the SHS; the one behind slides, pulled by a turnbuckle, to tension the chain.
The sliding one needs some way to stop it wobbling loosely,so wedges,a camlock or welded on nut for a bolt,should stiffen it.
A fixture to hold the turnbuckle for tensioning the drive-chain is needed then check the seats::could be ready to pump.
Then fit it to the trailer,sort the stuff & then go a road along!

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2014 :  23:24:33  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
Derricks are poles with a 'gooseneck' at the heel;jibs for cranes;they slew,hinge up & down, maybe rotate,usually with a pulley at the end with guys to control it,topping lift to hoist it.
A tube or two holes to control a 1.2cm pin [bolt] around which the heel slews;welded to 1dm of 3.5shs 5cm out from a corner~zap!I have to make.
Then the discharge pipe can swing side to side & fill a row of containers [Otto-bin]::an easy way of accurate flow quantity Q measurement,with a stopwatch for the rate calculation.
So the "CHALLENGE" continues,have you got beyond thinking about it?
More doings tomorrow,operating could happen,in a shed by a riverside.
Device to hold a turnbuckle to tension the main-chain.
Camlocks for axle-brackets.
Align the big chailwheel;oil the chain,put it on,align chain & sprokets,fit d/p jib,pump,join the pipe to the pump with a bit of inner-tube using hose-bands;[flexible-join],adjust the cantilevered end of the d/p jib using chain+turnbuckle stays.X-Y-Z for the beginning of the pipe is fully adjustable :: then the top of the pipe [outlet] is held by the end of the jib/derrick,so it can be slewed & raised & lowered,while the pump is operating,splashing water around or filling successive containers ,changing channels to feed different reservoirs,anyway the discharge pipe has to be controlled both ends,so it won't lean on the flexible pump & distort it: a pipe full of water is a heavy thing. Not at all like what it is when empty.
Once again a drought seems to be happening,record dry spell recently,about to get a bit of a 'splash' with a dash of rain due.
The bush is lush after last summer wetness,if it dries it'll burn big.
The only thing that a 'OTP" rig could do is to go to the billabong or creek to fill a tank on wheels;for firefighting the "PELETON" frame could power a higher pressure pump to squirt the flames;as a previous 'Bush-fire-fighter' I can tell you that!"even a 40litre backpac,with hand-pump & nozzle-hose is effective "[in certain conditions].
Of course there are numerous petrop-powered pumps also.
I put out a serious fire with a WET-TOWEL ; but only just,on a hot day with a gusty wind in the long dry grass,thankfully!
It's the SINKING SAILOR who is a problem,which I've considered since spending my life bailing boats.
My very first experience afloat 4 y/o fine day,clear sandy bottom,in a 3m clinker dink,delighted by the FLOATING-FEELING I looked in the little vesel to note a shallow strip of water along the botton & in this was a RUSTY TIN CAN which in those days was the ordinary practice for BILGE-PUMPING :: that being the point of this long larding of jargon to extreme.
It's a busy life as you know!Depending on what you choose to do[conditions apply!];intentions vary & my plan is to navigate towards the mythical objective which is "The Bilge-Pump to beat the Bucket";the one being flung by the fully adrenal-energised "Frightened-Man"

"You are lost the instant you know what the result will be".~~Juan Gris~~

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2014 :  20:34:31  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
So it's on 3-wheels ready to roll.
Put it in a trailer & sort tools,spares,pipes & other 'junk' to go anywhere to lift water.Starting with a 'kid-pool' or bathtub in a suburban park on dads'day soon.A public display to get me out of obscurity in a distant shed~photos will be taken~you'll see.

"I shut my eyes in order to see." ~~PAUL GAUGUIN~~

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2014 :  23:15:34  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm". ~ ~COLLETTE.

So I continue to prepare for "THE PUMP CIRCUS" to perform.
Now making a 2m extension for another two pedal powerers,so makes four,this bit is lower seat height for children,optional.
Another variant,with a longer drive extension is being made;; this makes it possible to lay it on a sloping bank or pump down 2m from a pool edge.
Still waiting for another 'factor'~??
Must make that bilger~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~& continue 'fooling around'~~~~~&

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2014 :  16:34:53  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
So the show goes on : but only in my imagination; Where I am 'casting' the characters to play "The Three Stooges","Abbott & Costello"::with walk-ons' by "Charlie Chaplain" & "Marcel Marceau" to come sailing on a trailer-on-wheels on scene,rig a tarp for shade,unload,set-up,assemble&operate the PUMP-CIRCUS,which starts with the pedal=peleton=pump lifting & discharging a splash into a curled-up corrugated transparent roof-panel,back into a tank/pool.
The script is for the CLOWNS to do it wrong every way capable.
"Murphy- Law"Demo.
Story of me life,in aspects,how did I learn,yes I've made mistakes & learned some,more to go as I wander into as yet undefined water lifting applications,while
Progress is happening,constant attention to detail//modification.The 2X1.2 box trailer had its' tent/tarp/boat=rack/frame almost complete,with more enjoyable "SERENDIPITOUS" surprises as 'added-features' materialised,functionality improves,adding weight too++
A few more mistakes to be sorted,turning stuff into ideas realising prototypes.Some things are OK like performance is excellent,a good feature for improving!

"Awake my Little Ones"~~~~~~OMAR KAYAAM~

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
IHPVA Forums © 2008 International Human Powered Vehicle Association Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000