Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  03:43:35  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
OK, stripped it bare, changed a few things,looks more fit for purpose now, just needs welding.Attention to detail takes time ,rolling it over, upside down, going around 'feeling' it with a file, smoothing steel, carving it, touching it wile looking how to build in the required features.It's easy now, but out in the field is another story.
Maybe next week it'l function?

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  05:27:54  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
Brutal, it looks, now bare-frame complete again : with 3.5rhs laterals at the top-deck level, previously the support was light angle; loops at the ends, so hanging it from the corners is on, also the centreline slinging points OK.45 Kilos in undercoat.
Dimensions 2.5 X .7 X 1.1 high.
It can be boxed to this size, easily by fixing plywood to the ends of the laterals.For travel, sling on top, removable wheels under,
Anyway today was tedious, pushing the file on a stick to remove internal blobs & imperfections. This so the inner tubes will slide easily telescoping, legs extend by pulling a rope "downhaul" ,'laterals have many uses.
Next re-invent the decks & pinrails, looking for multi purpose/function factors to meet as many obscure needs as I can imagine.
Intermittantly I find myself in remote places, having to be resourceful in unexpected ways,now I'm the sort of bloke who mostly has string in a pocket : very useful stuff! So now's the chance to build in the resources.
Fundamental is a container with spare SHEAR PINS ; no pin no pump go !
Currently the impeller has "shear-pin-drive":with the plastic impellers it's 5mm Al wire, different for the metal imp.
Inevitably a rusty-nail will be used & that's better than nothing.
Every unit must have a SPARE SHEAR PIN LOCKER, a few other impellers, a bit of roller chail OILCAN for lube & all that stuff [string&wire]
Bare-bones just a skeleton it is now :: so I'll trick it out!
A helping-hand would be welcome, here to the north o Botany Bay*

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  15:01:27  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
Top-decks are on,so now one can walk end to end on three little platforms.
When the "PUMP CIRCUS" puts on a show,the 'clowns' can perform on this 'stage',as well as all sorts o watery "tricks"
Vizualise ~~ ~ 3 guys standing//sitting//pushing//hauling halyards as the HPPump arrives on stage [where the water is] then pump-in-water::rig the discharge-pipe::make the water perform!!
Demonstrate the machinery,illustrate this ENERGY CYCLE ^ ^
When the 'clowns' finally stop fooling around & get pedaling the water shoots up the transparent-pipe ~> into a transparent funnel > down the penstock\\ through the HEG turbine\\AC~>DC\\lights the LEDs to internally illuminate the WATER PASSAGES ~ all is revealed!
Ah-Ha::transparent illumination of a little niche in our understanding.
The critical elements being our vital fluid+energy
Today's prog-lower decks & pin-rails ### file pushing a "bastard-file"
All is almost smooth;but I still seek sharp dags!
Erch erch erch!

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2010 :  01:54:16  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
undercoat & two paints ~ 'earthmoveryellow' frame; lime green moving bits[seat & axle brackets+ cantilever support]; red ends with loops, easily identified.Still sticky, next photo it bare ~ then assemble ~ take it out & run it.Video, performance test & demos!
The new mods look good, provide 3 sturdy top-decks, 4X35rhs laterals with end-loops for rigging points & telescopic extensions.
So hang the black backdrop for high-contrast photos ~now

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2010 :  17:06:52  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
A short voyage in a ketch;sailing on a bridle to the mooring, set sideways to the wind it swings in an arc on the rope.foils in fluids flying or stalling; I did it to give the new owners a feel for their vessel. It's all part of my life & water!
Back on the job ; fore-dech has 10 belay-pin sockets,should be enough,because as well as stopping ropes you can mount something on one or more 2.5cm pegs to drop in holes thus locating it.Multifunction.
The lectern is yet to be made~ features for supporting- food/drink/paper/pen/pc/dvd/a tray/tabletop/ moves X-Y-Z, tilts, Oh! the possable fantasies of a far flung designer; there are lots of ways to do every little detail, yeah/but I'm glad to say that's mostly irrelevant as this machine works very well, already proven the concept & the major functional features are inherently plaited into this tangle of almost 20m of rhs + few bits of strip & ply.
Probly 50 Kg now, so I go add a bit more.
Fine day @ Botany B

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  21:06:41  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
Walkabout;up a tributry of big river,a hidden valley,where the horses were~ this time horseless carriages AKA MODEL_T fords, 150 or so came & went,strange surprise on a weekday in a remote place.Ah yes & the birds were there numerously,bell-bird tinkled,kooka yelled,currawong sang & the twitter-birds gathered in the bamboo where we cooked on burning carbon,under stars,silence happens!
Boating adventures on Sydneys waterway ~ ~ keep on happening ~ Lu-Lu's!
As a result,there is a 'dead' 16Kw diesel lump of 200Kg iron & grot in my waggon, not for HPV!
However the sailboat is now HPV & pure motorless!
Waffle digression,NOW back on the HPV energy machine,currently adapting a F&P "smatrgenerator" to it:: with a cluster on the shaft.
A bit of 'surgery' on the plastic to make a 'swing-arm' kinda like an alternator mount in a car:: with a long pin so it can move laterally the cluster width.Change gears & adjust tension.+ALIGNMENT+
The point being to see how many WATTS two people can deliver?
The wiring guy is immanent!
There is more to do;;;##like getting the donk on a table & cleaning it.Rubber-gloves.Rags.Bins>

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2010 :  15:38:33  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
The wiring guy showed,choices <>star/\delta+AC//DC ~12~24~48~Volts+Amps=WATTS::is what we want! So we're thinking about that?
Meantime AXLES back on # it's the ALIGNMENT fine adjust.
Two axles chained together with same chainwheel, cranks 90* out of synct: the front axle with 100Tooth c/w & it is important to lead the connecting chain inwards ,away from the edge of 100T ;otherwise #graunch# : so fiddle~de~de,friggin~de~riggin:means attention to detail!Tediously^^^|
Assembly continues, while the call o the sea interrupts,boat to boat I roam, the phenomenal differences, vessel to vessel.
This pump-rig is different too, you ain't seen nothing like it yet!
Simple trick LIFTS WATER,:I always knew "There must be a better way" for an interface machine between water && muscles to interact.
I amazed myself by the "TACTILE"way you can "FEEL" the water "SLIPPERY HEAVY" sortof humms while it slips, the tiny turbulence from the slicing by the "TWISTED FOILS" rotating in a ring!Pressure differentials adjusting: WATER PASSAGES ,in & out, accellerate><decellerate::it's the recovery of high velocity energy @ impeller-ring.DIFFUSER-STATOR the critical component, we're looking @ that.
Everything can be bettered of course.
Efficiency %%% results for your effort are plainly seen & felt with this %Having used it, I know the resentment towards any unnessary FRICTION // RESISTANCE = improve it before the "cat is outof the bag"?
So I went to the Uni's HYDRODYNAMICS LAB last week, new staff to initiate; changes happen:: YGen is on the job ~ where to from here?
Young minds, fresh IDEAS!

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2010 :  15:45:56  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
Standing on it's own legs; feet @ .6m above ground, just now.
Another first after de riggin friggin, to fair the leads of the downhauls for the telescopic legs.
It works ~ pull a rope & the leg extends:: enabling this to stand in water almost a meter deep // with uneven [rocky] profiles compensated for.Presently, Using legs 2m long, which can be further lengthened.
Shorten them as you pump-down!
Pictures of the floods happening here, show me that some people build a sandbag~bund around the house & pump it out = this pump will do that & no fuel needed [it can also be powered]
Raindrops on the windows here today, La Nina with cyclones & wetness is happening in our part of this World,the long drought is over. Water is on the move ,energy everywhere, if you see it & that lovely liquid 'running down',always takes the 'low-road' back to the sea.
The HP/OTP can change that, by harvesting some into reservoirs, by extracting some potential & velocity energy, for various uses.
Anyway it looks good standing tall;ready for action ~ just a bit more fiddeling;filing;painting & fine-tuning. Then perhaps a video will show you what this is about?
Meantime~~OWWWWWH~ "The call o the Wilds" I can hear, "Walkabout" "Bag packed & ready to Go" to a river's edge someplace?
To feel the vibrations of the Earth, far from the airport /highway /seaport & industry ,which "animates" this part.
Contemplate the next step with this pump thing, how about a voyage around the Earth to show it to you?
Too much carbon in the sky, or continuing on "The Slow Road" [much less travelled] I could sail around?The Wooden Boatshow just happened ~ there is a "Baltic-Trader" outwardbound eastwards departing shortly.
Time moves ~~~~~~~~~~~~you understand!
:Dream on:

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2010 :  21:42:12  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
"Bush-week" again!
HPV canoes & kayaks went past on their way to "The Hawkesbury R Classic" a hundred K+ marathon, overnight with a full-moon: pity about the rain, which started with the race: then poured, drumming on the tarp over the old boat I was sleeping in & overfilling buckets~slosh!
Water +more water, my element::NOW back in the shed, with 'new-legs'another 8m of rhs 3cm.sq.steel.
for OTP. Only have to find suitable wheels ,a bit of painting & drilling,get a trailer & it's out there:: looking for a puddle to play in. For the difinitive video ; after all this 'bloggy-waffle',you'll see! to the 'tune' of Kookaburras laughing, in my memory of recent sounds for my ears.&&it's different!
The only way to discover something new like this OTP is to go a 'different~road':: it's the result that matters, so the cred is in a video,with 'real people'.The road I just travelled, was almost all curves & bends as it wound across ridges,gullies,hills, to wind along a creek. I mean: as you think about this, you realise that with a machine like OTP you could Human-Power some water to where you want it.
And change the way you FEEL/UNDERSTAND/VALUE/LOVE water.
"Curved Water"
Back to work, while South Wind blows 20+Kt. across the Bay.Cool

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2010 :  18:05:32  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
Evolution:-: Now for the first time,it's standing on legs,red telescopics,with rope-downhauls leading,almost~fairly,to be hauled by front & back bloke, then belayed on belaying-pins.Using 2m 3.1cmsqrhs2mmwall, it can stand in about 1.5m deep water::the usual would be 'knee-deep', so you can wade-in set it up,maybe set a net around it~to keep the###### FISH OUT ########also weed & trash that will hang-up on the impeller.
If the performance falls-off due to blocked strainer or imp~just STOP & let it run back to flush.Remember-string is a pump's enemy,wraps & seizes it~~~~fishingline~~~~~sailthread~~~~~dentalfloss~~bad!
This is the first-RAW WATER STRAINER- depending on what's happening,the water can be fed to a gravity system with membranes/mesh/sand-beds to clean more particulates,then 'treatment' on a small HUMAN POWERED SCALE.
It only lifts 2m // this is LOW HEAD, but useful,the quantity is the feature of OTP,which is remarkable.{{specially when your boat's sinking}}
I went away & thought about it.New ideas flourished,so I've changed the way the 'forked=cantilever' which holds the gearbox+pump is held-up. Instead of an horizontal fulchrum [up/dn/lateral+tension adjustable],the cantilever becomes a telescopic-strut[to tension the chain] suspended near it's end by two chain/turnbuckle stays forming approx equilateral triangle with a forward lateral .7m across.So X-Y-Z OK,makes it easy to align & elevate/lower, the other DEGREE OF FREEDOM twist of the strut is allowed so the weight of the turbine keeps it vertical; it can move away from applied force, important because stray forces will distort the pump-case.[current pump is fiberglass~ ie plasticXflexible]
The trunion allows swinging fore-aft - a YOKE.
The discharge-pipe pressure is a force:: the weight of the pipe has to be supported seperately & connected flexibly [inner-tube & hose-clamps]. That's another DYMAXION/\TRIANGULATION TRICK\/\ derricks/stays/guys/goosenecks+chain##turnbuckle/rope/pulley/belay++for that INFINITE ADJUSTMENT.So you can deliver the water anywhere including onto the pedallers heads [on a hot day]
More changes to make,like get the wheels on & rig derricks.
At last the paint is dry!

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2010 :  21:06:08  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
Next Variant//option is almost made. The F/P "Smartmotor"--on a stick.
First trim the plastic to the webs @ 1.9decimeter dia.
A sturdy hinge bolted to the face & to 2.5 cmrhs :: so the alignment can happen,::I cut this from the leg & a bit of each side; ilke X-Y-Z
leg-along the chain direction == one stump-up for hanging it on ++ one stump along f/p, parrallel to the shaft axis;with a strip [or channel] inside the web, bolted on & with a hole drilled for a screw+nut[wing] & a spring, so the axis adjusts both sides of 'on-line'.
Slide the rhs onto the 2cm tube, pinned near the chainwheel-axle==providing alignment+telescopic chain tensioning.
Hang it off the frame, true it up,tension chain, choice of 6 ratios 100::14 is the highest 7::1.
And, if I get it right, the "Out-of-phase // help you over TDC" will be radically different to the oneman struggle! Two operators make three times as much power as one!!
When this gets wired we'll know, meantime another adaptor sproket=cluster onto 2.5 cm shaft, to make.
Oh! On a "Bicycle built for two" you get the benefit of company: in this situation ~ going nowhere.Time to talk.

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2010 :  21:33:14  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
The "Stick" or ARM for mounting the hinge, with f/p swinging on that,was from a rhs tubular table-frame, so you see the X-Y-Z a corner, with a leg & a bit of two sides.
X--along the chain, Y--along the shaft direction [with 'hinged' adjustment], Z vertical for suspension, the hinge-pin is vertical & all sliding in-out for chain-tensioning on various sprokets.
Lateral-alignment by adjusting the triangulated suspension-stays.
"Fair-Leads" for least friction, wear & noise!
Align-it-straight-on------nag-----nag--!
OK so I carry-on about alignment, but that's the "Trick" of this "Treat".

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2010 :  02:13:24  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
Diverted again::having found a 6kg front-loader wash m/c thrown out,because they'd been washing gritty stuff,which settled & blocked the outlet pipe~easily fixed~works perfectly!Now to couple it to the pedal-drive.Cut a hole to expose the drive pulley,remove the belt,then rig a universal-joint-shaft,with splines,from pulley to sprockets.The wash action is slow tumbling one RPM, easy.Spinn-dry on this is 1600 RPM, I'll find how fast HP will do? Get revcounter!
For the OTP, I'm listing the gear needed to cope with taking it "on the road" to ponds,creeks,seashore,tanks,pools or wherever I get to for experements//tests.Messing with water is tricky.
Pipes/joiners/hose-bands/spare shear-pin/tools/ropes/chain/jibs/shackels/wire/string/plank/tarp/what else?

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2010 :  23:40:02  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
The sea called again, so I went & listened @ shore of sandstone eroded layers forming overhangs, waves slam the roof at certain tides, boom; husssh & sounds galore:a voice of nature. Remind me of the water energies,OTP puts a feeling of water "in your hands", or feett.
The sound can be made as the pumping starts,thepipe fills//air expelled can blow an organ-pipe & stopping\\inhaling can vibrate a reed,::
This is added pizzaz for "on public display" times when people will give it a quick spin then move on ~ ~ saying "GEE WHIZZ"
The sound effects can be significant, dunno that I can make it "talk" though!
"GLITTER" in the water shows streamlines, good for time--lapse photo.
With internal illumination be blue LED, it's the 'lumps' of falling water,containing ice-blue light,frozen by the strobe effect of the pulsing A/C [as I had it].MEZMERIZING , so take care you too could just gaze in an amaze:::as form after unique form drops & runs a watery way,down to the spinning turbine, to make the lec to light the light, round & round,never ending while someone pushes the pedals.
It's just a fun-thing, novel & comes with a message ~ ~ something to do with "EMBRACING WATER",understanding it better,feeling its' sleekness! Liquidity is fluidity with viscosity.All those little molecules,sliding over each other,weighing in with a density of one,incompressible & willing to slip around a travelling foil,infinitely pressurizable [as in deep ocean]:::fragile for low-pressure:::t tthe molecules have a mutual attraction, which can be overcome by the dynamic forces in arcing around a curved chord,while hurrying from the high pressure to a lower::
When it comes apart it forms vapour pockets/bubbles,sort of vacuum,with atomic-molecules flying around gasseously-which collapses on the impeller = cavitation.
"Gratuitous hydrodynamics"probly too much info--
But if you work with pumps,well-get int -em- imaginatively ~
So I wrote "A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A MOLECULE" as it went around rhe closed- circuit-in-out-turbine-speed-up-whoa-slow-pressureincrease-decrease. Oh! Yes these guys are in action,dosn't wear them out,go on on forever.Perpetual Motion down to Absolute Zero.
The presciousness of water is a whisper.
Oh! as part of the show ~ filtering the 'glitter' is another "Water-Trick" ~ What YOU can do to water.
Now re-make a couple of components+ foot-pads & wheels.

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2010 :  02:02:49  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
On wheels-it looks like an old time tail-dragger biplane, with wing-stumps.Two pneumatic trolly wheels at the end of splayed/forward raked legs & a single castor at the back. Mobility,ready to bounce across a paddock & down the river bank.
The loading has started, two 2.2m X 1.5dm, with 1dm pipe inside.
Eventually, it may look like a "baggies-waggon",using shopping bags for the ropes etc.

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2010 :  15:59:24  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
Boating adventures continue ~ rope~wraps on both props, nessesecates night diving,cutting free & limping home::all part of hydrodynamic education::I'm learning:: the passengers were amazed!!{{Specially as I kidded them about fighting off all those feral sharks reputed to infest this place}}
Big changes here~new people ready for an activ NooYear.
Nothing done to OTP,for a while,but but, this decade coming I promise photos//video so you who are interested can see whatI've been chattering about.
It's ready to go, bar a couple of minor details,so I'll set it up in it's bathtub for a final check: then out the door.
Towards a "Human Powered" wonderful New Year for us all!

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2011 :  17:34:01  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
HORIZON crossed ~ ~ into a new decade ~ NOW for some changes! For me to show you how to move water [low-lift] more effectively, using only your muscular body. ENERGY SUSTENANCE is a BUZZ-WORD it's sustainable, we've all got some::it's what~for & why~for we use it?
Huffin&puffin&sweatin&struggliningymnasia for burning megajoules of adipose tissue~producing~breathing-out;great gasseous volumes o CO2::
Yeah well! all that energy could be put to good purpose ~ ~ lifting water // storing the energy ~ for later use.
It's an attitude to see the potential of using//storing this individually microscopic wattthourage :: yeah/but it all adds up :: it's the ANT PRINCIPLE , they can move mountains or demolish houses, tiny beasts! & us bigger beasts.,legs pumping, how much water they would move ;; I think of those guys on a push-bike tour in France the PELOTON ;Oh! those legs-a-pumpin,!!!
!!Anyway the intent, even a New-Year Resolve is to get that thing out of here, not immediately but sooner!
I'm still dazzled by the razzle of the crackers in the sky, over still waters where we floated happily mezmerized by the vivid~~~~~~*
Like a meteor from the silken=web=the=electron=we=are=joined=by,she arrived,a new presence***'HUMAN POWERED"

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  14:50:41  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
Ideas are like arrows in the sky loosed by me, here ,in this issue.
Who takes it onboard, what relevance, WHY ??
Water ; our life depends on it ;; you'll get to know it better,if you push it with an OTP*

Anyway;it's ready to roll out of the "making-area" to the "stage" where it can perform for the camera, with a plain,uncluttered black background,all the better to photoshop with!
So /\-O-|-O-/\+// is a sort of grafic,pump on the right,2chainwheels,2setsolegs.
The BIG DIFFERENCE is having the cranks @90*degrees unsynchronised;;
Sharing the load [water weighs RD=1] kicked over TDC//BDC [the hard part];;pushing naturally down for the power-stroke;;just like an internal compustion engine on it's crankshaft.
It's like serendipity,unexpected assistance;or mutual help,when 2 people can do the power of 3 singles [yet to be measured?]
It's a feeling I can't quite express,like all this water-pedaling;;it feels like your feet coupled to a smooth running machine interfacing with rhat streamlined liquid. Only a few have tried it so far,soon you can make your own or buy one.
What do you want to use it for?
To cross an HORIZON~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

n/a

7 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2011 :  16:01:19  Show Profile
mizen-stay evasion the extra at the all changed [url=http://www.bestbodog.com]bodog poker[/url] , with modern [url=http://www.freeamericancasino.com]online casinos[/url] and on the disorganized [url=http://www.yourcasinousa.com]online casino bonus[/url]. you can also be with poker rooms at [url=http://www.bestbodog.com]bodog[/url]
[url=http://www.liveinternetcasino.com]online casino spiele[/url] and [url=http://www.casinogameluck.com]Casino Spiele[/url] at the a- German casinos interchange in return DE players.

Geminis
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  15:26:17  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
Hmmmmmm! ~~~~~What's that about?
Gambling / poker / casino ?
Go to sea without a substantial BILGE PUMP; is a gamble.
It could cost you a boat; or even your life in drastic circumstances.
Don't gamble ~ get a good high capacity manually operated water moover!
It improves the odds, gives you a better chance!
I'm in the process of designing & testing it NOW*
Yes//but even that does not guarantee survival.
It is how you cope with the prevailing circumstances.
In "The Great Game of "STUFF" ~ If you have the 'right-stuff' @ "The Right Time" & know how to use it ~ you may survive.:: Depending on the risk you just gambled with??
Floods & Cyclones are hazards,we have experienced here-with devastating & tragic outcomes.
This pump is only a small one,however it could be effective to dewater a small polder//bund, like a 'sandbagged' house.
Of course a motor elec or fuelled will pump more for longer.
You just have to feed it fuel && if you have none, the last resort is your strength & stamina.
It's a gamble!
Still the R&D progresses.
I just have to get more $$$ to spend ~ covering a avalanche of bills.
Yeah but I don't gamble for money, so a casino visit is no help!

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2011 :  15:21:39  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
The pump is in the pool of water [domestic bath]
Clear 1 decimeter transparent-pipe lifts 2m, drops into clear vynl funnel [banded to bike-wheel-rim] & into a penstock for a mini-hydro-gen.
The water goes round & round, a 'flyscreen'-filter across the bath between the turbines takes out the froth & bubbles dropped outof the mini-heg's discharge as well as other gunk.
Detritus~ ~ ~ specially~stringy~~stuff~~~##~~gets hung~~up ~ on impeller blade ~ ~ leading edges~~~ stopping the pump::let water rush down to clear this ~~ occaisonally
Sail~thread ## fishing~line ## dental~floss::are worst? ##
Today, basic elec-wiring will work, to light the internally illuminated flow===passagess. The one in the 30*bend @ the top,sends light down the pipe;into wich I have fixed a bit of 'flouro' survey-line, illustrates stream-lines,which-way the water goes.
Also the light is "captured" in tumbling blobs # freeze-framing # a succession of random shapes # turbulence motion stopped #
STROBE on pulse of rectified AC>DC Voltage +/- The blue [LEDlight] 'skin;where surface-tension contains the stream of pouring flow # transmogrifies. You'll see after the video happens, which could be soon??
There is more to do,here in this shed~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NOW

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  16:37:59  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
Sinking Boat Syndrome, just won't go away.Last happened 3 days ago ~ again!
It's a strange sensation to realize that the thing you're floating IN is on it's way DOWN.
Unless you do something::pump of course::as we did::plug the hole!
Yes/but that got my hair 'prickeling'.
More MOTIVATION to make it happen :: getting more effective pumps to go.
So;back in the 'shed' after the 'sinker' voyage & blowing down harbour on a wooffing westerliee in a 13 ton rough/tuff offshore racer ,which has been roaming the Pacific for 20 years~the last journey for another great navigator ~ Sailboat for Sale ~ Good one too!
Hydrodynamic studies continue & Boatwork.
"Collabourator" visit immanent;; technical progress & symbiotic strategy considerations ~ ~ like 'where to from here & how to get there" Defining objectives = =is it about International Human Powered Machinery effectivness ? or teaching the principles of practice in the "Art of Hydrodynamics"[This starts with the delight of standing in a warm shower or a hand under a running water tap]
The best way to make a limited bunch & scatter them for testing/evaluation/try them with different people & circumstances, for a wide range of needs to fulfill.
Moving water [LOW LIFT ] & mini-heg AC/DC the "Proof-of-Concept"exists
Now do something!

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  02:17:59  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
A step-up has occurred,now standing on four splayed legs .7m up, one leg facing aft on the centreline,braces against fore<>aft rocking.
Only the fiddely details left to do

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2011 :  17:59:36  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
Well: back to 'teaching it tricks", or try some new layout, so that I'' have an idea how to deal with the prevailing circumstances.
Rain & wind ~ various tarps/tents can be hung on poles :~:extending from the frame, trimmed to the angle of the sun & slant of wind.
It's a 'sailor' thing ~ rags on ropes & poles ~ the facilities have been designes in - tie-off points // belays // snap-attatch // saddles //sockets //swivels //yoke // pulleys // perforations as 8mm holes spaces 5cm, staggered on each face, so 'things' can be fixed.
Shoes on feet on legs for standing on fine-floors,sandy/muddy/rough&rocky shores.
Ply-pads,ball-joints,or eye-bolts+saddle, it's being considered & is it important :: not immediately, so It'll happen later.
Meantime having just dismantled what is :: next is to get it to "chuck water over it's shoulder" as in standing in knee-deep .7m] water pump the water around the side of the frame to the hill behind.
A normal circumstance when pumping from a stream or pond [emptying tsunami-ponds with human-power]
Anyway this machine has to go cross-country & down the bank [& up] into the water :: stretch its legs :: stand on its' feet :: provide for two podal-pushers to sit in variable seats, with shelter & provisions.
Lifting water to 2m [subtract pipe-friction] How much, I don't know, it'll get measured eventually.You will be surprised at how much is discharged: I still am.
Hah! ~ But the work is there, water is heavy stuff,,exhausting,The point of this machine is efficiency =% more water moved for the energy available.
There is nothing more tedious boring uninspiring frustrating exhausting than pumping the bilge of a sinking boat ~ depends on whether you're winning or loosing ~ capacity counts.
I apologise for the delay in getting this "out-there", boats will always sink & some marriages break as a result!
The drawing is on the board~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
Plenty to do :::::::::>

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2011 :  22:52:47  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
Tricks all right, the jibs, boom ,derrick,goooseneck,stays did what I expected, so a pipe can be suspended right around the frame at any elevation. It holds the outer//upper end, for discharge or connection to more piping. The end near the pump is held by its' own jib&stays+strut. A flexible hose connects to the pump so as not to put stress&strain on the case, which would distort it.
I rigged it for pipe to the back elevated or on the ground,using laterals for support,OK. Pipe @ 90* form frame held by stayed-jib OK.
Got the photos ~ rezzle dazzle mind bogglers ~ you havn't seen anything like this before! That's only static without the performing clowns th animate/operate/educate.That will be the spectacle to astonish, like no other.
I'm learning as this beast evolves to take on a life of itsown, before it's even left the shed.The 'creative-behaveiour' aspect of imagining, make a crude beginning, see my mistakes,fix : get abetter idea. Now so much better than what I had expected & the appearence standing-tall on red-legs, like a high-stepping-horse, the proportions please me~ very 1.618. You will see my inspiration by Buckminster Fuller has led to surreptitious triangulation & I've captured that photographically. I just have to arrive in this centuary & find how to 'put em up' for you to see, after all this time.

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2011 :  15:59:23  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
Hydrodynamic understanding helps ; but age&cunning got me to seccond place in the Easter Dory-race [an HPV], yes the "River-Rats" had a row/paddle fiesta ~ out-of-town ~ among devotees of travel by muscle::fun times!
I must be fit as that little pea-pod jumped-up & flew across the water, spinning round the turns, dodging competitors, to crunch the beach::rah-rah!!
Legs are the go for this "TANDEM"pump
The computer savvy guy arrives today~ website activation ~for
onetonpump.com ~ so that I may be able to put up the photos ~
Dymaxion to the max <>/\/\<> trtiangulation using struts//andall//red/yellow/green/blue/silver/black<>primary/contrast/intensified/contrast.
A jumble of words,,yes/but wait till you realise the tangle your synapses will involute to when you look @ what can become of 20m of rhs, chopped, welded & afew bits added.These are the static-studio pics,taken against a black backdrop for photoshopping::now/when the "active" shots are planned ;;I write the script for "THE PUMP CIRCUS"
"Knowing more about water" is the POINT.
~immanent event ~fate~karma~destiny~ rule.
Intuition guides//navigates.
Be aware of that

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2011 :  19:21:22  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
Never satisfied "there must always be a better way" & there is!
So I reinvented the hand-crank for two, or more 'workers'.
The "pump-on-a-pole" is prototyping, bit by bit::ideas into action.
The tandem//padaller is waiting for a 2 1/2m tray box-trailer,to roll into,tow away to the water to be moved.
Roll out & to the pond//creek//beach//bank//tank//flood//padi//boat.
Turbine gets wet, pipe connects,legs stand level,water goes along & up into a reservoir // tank // canal // pipe // overboard // filter water purifier // solar evapourator // heater // domestic & frivolous uses.
First up, the video to explain why this design has to be a puzzle of many pieces, assembled & operated properly gives great results.
It's the adaptability to random circumstances, keeps puzzling me :: "what if" is the question & "what then"?
The answer is ~ "You'll be right if you prepare for this expedition with the right stuff" & design it adaptable.
"Stuff" is a piece of string; a shear-pin; a raincoat/umbrella; the trick is to have what you need, when ,you need it & where you can get it & know how to use it.
This pedaly-pump is different ,I see a future explaining what to do with it.The script for "A Pump Circus" ,a video is 'on the table'.
Currently looking for the "three stooges" type clowns to fool around with this to show "57 ways to do it wrong",eventually get it right!
Entertainment with a message, 'love that slippery water'.

"No amount of skillful invention can replace the essential element of imagination". [Edward Hopper]

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2011 :  15:25:42  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
You said it Al ~ "It's a long time coming"
Now a working proto is before me here, still preparing for the 'movie'.
As usual, a simple idea becomes complex ; involving many facets to 'reveal-all' of the details. More particularly to 'tease-the-brains' of you who want to know about this to get the questions going around in your thoughts.
It's about WATER & getting to 'know it'! By 'feel',with feet.
Learning how heavy it is, the dynamics of it's momentum,what the effect of head is on the flow. Friction ; viscosity ;turbulence & laminar-flow.Streamlines.
Aerobics & AlphaRhythems :: you get them both :: while contemplating all this watery stuff as you crank-the-machine :: as the "red-zone" approaches on 'the "road-to enlightenment" OK'?
But first the doco, pieces of a puzzle appear,the 'trick' is to recognise them & see the part they play. A team is gathering, diverse talents,still more work.
The "Plot" isfor the three clowns to fool aroundwith the gadjetry, do a few tricks to reveal the functional design, then operate it doing tricks with the flowing water.
Moving water mezmerizes :: ever changing forms mystefying,a form of hypnosis. Tranquil ponds to pacify :: raging floods & crashing waves to inspire fear & awedelight!"The Power of Water has various aspects.
Today it's "Kidz-in-Kayaks" time; dynamics of another sort,on a fine cool clear winter sortasolstice day, in the Southern Hemisphere; 34 degrees from the Equator.The sun is now a 'hand-span' up above the horizon >> ACTION

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  15:10:10  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
Angle-grinder-gearboxes are fantastically rugged, durable,free [usually] & effective with just the right ratios for this "human-power" transmission."Achilles-heel" is steel bearings,which don't like water.
I,ve been finding various ways o fitting the cluster/cassette of sprokets,to where the disc/output-shaft was,now the input,RH rotation 'does-up' the fastener.
First::gut the splined racheting component.
::the 'keyed' drive washer in held to an operating a/g ,then 'machined' by holding it against a grinding wheel [counter-rotating] till it fits.
The splined hub can have the 'thin-spline ground off so that the cluster can be put on 'the other way around',then using 'machined'washers space the keyed washer so it's held inside what was the 'end-cap' which screws into the internal thread.This will locate the cluster with minimal clearence,so the leverage is least.
The other component is made from the adaptor-nut,which comes with certain wire-brushes for the a/g::this is 'machined also by counter-rotation from operating a/g to grinder;;then using a hacksaw to cut a slot on top for a screwdriver.
This way a lathe is not needed,of course making an adaptor with one would be better,but I don't have one. It can be done with 'basic' tools.
12-18 tooth sprokets work fine with the 100t chainwheel,gives a spread of options covering the needs of this 12/10 cm axial flow turbine pump. Elec generation will have the cluster on the shaft direct,no gearbox,horizontal.

"What lies behind us & what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us" -Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page

onetonpump

Australia
129 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  01:56:34  Show Profile  Visit onetonpump's Homepage
Sorry:: that was a bit hard to follow.
Eventually: I got a cup shaped wire brush for a/g [used]& held it to a grinding wheel till it fitted into the splined-hub.
This 'gung-ho' technique is expressly forbidden as it's dangerous ##
##the shredding of a wire-brush is ##messy.############^
The point is resourcefulness as a design objective.
I've been in the bush remotely far-away from supplies & on boats, where 'what you have ;is what you got - to fix the problem ~
Now the brush-hub is in the cluster splines; with about 1.5mm clearence & running freely ~ just fit sprokets ]]]for this pump 12~>18 is used.
Next a 1.5 dec outside dimension for the trunnion mounting, with pins & a/g input shaft aligned.
The trunnion hangs in a fork & particular attention ~~::~~the thrust opposing chain tension is taken on a semi-circular piece leaning on the a/g main-bearing in the turret ====C

+""There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening,that is translated through you into action & because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist by any other medium "". [Martha Graham][[from "The Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron}}

Water // water // water
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
IHPVA Forums © 2008 International Human Powered Vehicle Association Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000