Water
 GPS, Hour-record, Considerations and Modifications
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

geo.tatum

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2018 :  16:32:30  Show Profile  Visit geo.tatum's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I bought a Garmin GPS map 78sc. Presently I am adapting it to my road bikes brain-stem information system. Technology sure has moved in last 18 years! The GPS mapping with other monitoring systems will help me figure out how the new water bicycle and the old crew are doing. I will need to do some more thinking on waterproofing the brain-stem monitoring gear. I'll send out some pictures soon.

I also changed the configuration of the WavebikeSS to a tandem. I had seen the Europeans had set the hour and 6 hour records in both single and tandem water vehicles. And then I spoke to a very wise old man, who reminded me that Wavebiking can be a very solitary sport and that works against it. Since my cycling partner is very good, I figured I could go after the tandem record with company, and beat the cycling alone on the water issue entirely. So back to Draft Sight 2018. I will need to modify two of the old Wavebike Frames into one structure. Luckily the frame design lends to that. I considered buying a road tandem to train, but seems to me riding individually on the road offers a bit more freedom and allows each rider to push his/her individual limits in training .

I am setting up the shop now. It will be weeks of design work before I can begin any construction.

I don't feel much of a rush to set up the official record breaking attempt at this time. First I will break record unofficially alone, on some quiet lake. Then I will step up to the plate.

george walter tatum

Don S

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2018 :  22:27:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
but seems to me riding individually on the road offers a bit more freedom and allows each rider to push his/her individual limits in training .

This may be true but, from a tandem captains's perspective, it's also a given that riding as a tandem team is a group effort requiring timing and coordination efforts that are only developed by clicking off the miles through time on the road together. This is perhaps more relevant if you are planning to use an independent pedaling system but the gains in power application, cadence, smoothness, and coordination of rider effort by training together are the backbone of many successful tandem teams and may hold the key to a successful attempt to set a tandem world record.

"it's important to understand what makes them fast. It's more important to understand what keeps them from going faster." DS
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
IHPVA Forums © 2008 International Human Powered Vehicle Association Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000